Sunday, March 23, 2014

10 Questions With Jaime Chesney







If you don't already know, women's MMA is blowing up here in Pennsylvania! I remember seeing the first women's fight in Central Pennsylvania when Cortney Kern fought Maggie O'Neill at Complete Devastation 7 back in November of 2012. It wasn't the first women's MMA fight in all of Pennsylvania, but for the Central region it was something new. Maggie won by unanimous decision, but it was pure action from the first moment to the final bell. The women in MMA have a reputation for bringing it, and eight months later one of the biggest fights in women's MMA for Pennsylvania went down in Pittsburgh between two amateur fighters.

At Gladiators of the Cage: North Shore's Rise to Power 2 on July 20, 2013 in what G.o.t.C announcer Dan Bogen called "The Cat-fight on the Turnpike" (not the best choice I say, but that's what he called it at the time) because it was between Philadelphia fighter Jessica Richman (1 - 0 when this fight happened) and Pittsburgh's own Jaime Chesney. (making her amateur debut)

It was a knock-down drag-out brawl, and the crowd was roaring the entire time. In the end the judges scored the fight as a unanimous decision for Richman. During the fight Chesney either split or broke Richman's nose, and Jessica was bloodied in the process.

Four months later on November 27th Jaime fought Annie DeCrescente at Pinnacle Fighting Championships: Pittsburgh Challenge Series 5. Again it was another war that went to a decision, and unfortunately again it didn't go Chesney's way. DeCrescente won the fight by unanimous decision, but she knew that she had been in a fight because of the punishment she took from Jaime.

Some amateurs might lose hope after starting their MMA career with back-to-back losses, but Jaime Chesney isn't most people - or even most MMA amateurs. She has been a fighter for years, and if you count her Muay Thai fights with her MMA fights, at the time she would have had an 8 - 2 combat sports record. Jaime is not someone to give up easily, so she went back to the drawing board and trained harder with her Pittsburgh Fight Club team-mates.

She is a humble woman who definitely has a good head on her shoulders. I have spoken with her several times since that first fight, and I saw how she dealt with people who chose to make fun of her & her MMA record and kept moving forward with a positive attitude as she was set to fight again in the MMA cage - this time for Gladiators of the Cage: North Shore's Rise to Power 4 and the opponent would be Christina Cherkes. Jaime defeated Christina quickly, winning by Rear Naked Choke after just 1 minute 28 seconds of the very first round.

I am glad to see that Jaime got into the win column after some adversity in her MMA career. I have seen the video of her fights, and this is someone worth paying attention to. I honestly believe that big things are in her future, and if you don't already know the name Jaime Chesney you need to find out quick. This time next year you might be seeing her fight for a promotion like Invicta or even the UFC... so do yourself a favor and see her fight while she is still at the local level.

Awhile back I was lucky enough to be able to ask Jaime a few questions. I apologize for not getting this interview article posted sooner. It should have come out before her fight earlier this month, but at least you have the opportunity to learn more about this amazing person & exciting fighter. I want to thank her for taking the time to participate in the interview process. She is a daughter, a mother, and she is absolutely a fighter and a winner! I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have putting it together.

Here is 10 Questions With Jaime Chesney.


Jaime Chesney (l) Vs. Jessica Richman





1. Tell us a little about yourself. 

My name is Jaime Chesney, 33 years old. 135 bantamweight, Amateur, International Amateur Muay Thai Federation Champion


2. How did you get started in MMA?

As child, martial arts intrigued me. I didn't have any formal training until I was a teenager. I had no choice, but to learn how to protect myself. I was jumped pretty badly when I was 16 by 3 complete strangers. They surrounded me when I was coming home from work. I knew something was going down, as they were all dressed in back. The one girl pushed me… it was on, I threw the first punch. I had to get my hits in while I could. They hit me in the face with high heels and kicked me until I was in fetal position. Luckily, it was broken up by someone driving by, or I would’ve been in the hospital. With 2 black eyes, a bloody nose and a swollen face, I had to walk through my front door to see my mother. She called the police. I found out who they were and wanted my revenge. I heard they were going from neighborhood to neighborhood jumping random people and were bragging to a mutual friend about having my blood on their shirts. They weren’t done yet, a couple of weeks later they were driving around with 2 cars full of people with baseball bats looking for me, because they heard I wanted my revenge. I was afraid to leave my house for a while. That is when two friends from school asked if I wanted to go to a boxing / kickboxing gym with them. I did and was hooked. I am thankful for those thug chicks, because if it weren’t for them, I could be dead or on drugs, like half of the people I grew up with. I trained and fought all over for 8 years and was undefeated as a Muay Thai fighter. Then I stopped fighting to promote with Joe Cosentino (Beast of the East -April 2005 at Rostraver Ice Garden), raise my family, to finish my degree and to work. Fast forward 9 years to last spring, I was teaching private Muay Thai lessons, when I had an offer to fight MMA at Gladiators of the Cage. I had zero ground experience… but figured what the hell, why not?


3. What gym(s) do you train at and what is it like training there? 

I train at Fight Club Pittsburgh… “The Dark Side”. I love it! I have an amazing team, everyone wants to help each other to improve. My coaches, Anthony Durnell, Mark Cherico and Khama Worthy are experienced, talented and all around great people. They each add their own flavor to the mix. I am extremely thankful and honored to learn from and work with each of them and the team. The great thing about training there is the team camaraderie. We are all in each others corner. The support is amazing. I am still in disbelief at times when in the Monday night fighter’s class. I look around to see Tony in Mark going at it in one cage, Khama and Dan (Master White Fang) in the other, and numerous other teammates going at it round for round on the mats. I can’t believe I am a part of this. To me, it’s total greatness.


4. What do you feel your strengths are as a fighter? 

Punching people in the face and if I have to, I’ll get down to the nitty-gritty.


5. What do you feel you need to work on to be a more complete fighter?

Well, I am a striker and feel like a mentally challenged monkey on the ground… I do think wrestling and Jiu-Jitsu are fun! In hindsight, I have taken those last two fights prematurely. I fought 2 great wrestlers, and although I lost, I learned so much about the gaps in my game and what I need to improve upon.


6. You lost an epic battle against Jessica Richman at Gladiators of the Cage, what is next for you?

Yes, that was an epic battle for me, but it was so much fun I want to do it again! It was my first fight in 9 years, my first MMA fight with just 3 months of jitz and some take down defense training, and also my first loss ever. That fight was supposed to be my “One &Only” MMA fight, hence that’s what it says on my shirts, but I planned on a win. I won’t go out like that. My daughters, Alexis 10, Sophia 5, said “Mom, you just have to win”. I can’t disappoint my girls! I teach them the age old saying “If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again”. And they used that saying on me. I have to practice what I preach.

My next fight is on March 15th at Stage AE on Gladiators of the Cage’s promotion against an unknown. It’s a big deal to me… a make it or brake it fight. I went from being undefeated 9-0 in Muay Thai to 0-2 in MMA. I don’t plan on being 0-3 that is for sure. I have so much support, that this fight is not just about me anymore, it’s bigger… I want to win for those who believe in me, my daughters, family, my team and the crazy amount of friends and fans that have been coming out of the woodwork to support this 0-2 fighter. I have never felt the faith people have in me like this before, and I am forever grateful for this.


UPDATE: Jaime won her fight against Christina Cherkes at Gladiators of the Cage: Rise to Power IV by RNC at 1:28 of the 1st Round.



7. Women's MMA is growing in popularity with the UFC & Invicta showcasing female fighters. The UFC has is adding a Straw-weight division to the roster after the success of the Bantamweight division. What do you think of this and women's MMA becoming more mainstream?

I believe the added weight class is a great thing, because it will give more opportunity for female fighters in that class to be able to advance and show their skills. As for women’s MMA becoming mainstream, I find it incredibly exciting! Some women are born fighters, and are great martial artists, just as men. It is interesting to see the softer sex go to battle with a strong skill set, and a lot of times even more brutality than men. We can let our inner bitch out and it’s OK, LOL. I'd also like to see a flyweight class (125lbs) added to the UFC roster as well.


8. Who are some of your role models?

In Life, my wonderful firecracker of a mom and Pat Kelly Lee. She is more than just a mentor, she is my friend. She kicks my ass when I need it. Her daughter, my friend, Mara Kelly Slack, a true survivor that is now thriving. She gives back with everything she has. In MMA? My coaches are my heroes. Tony, Mark and Khama… their talent, skill, dedication and humility is unmatched and inspiring.


9. What are your plans for the future?

In life, I want to show my daughters the importance of following their dreams, and they are worthy and capable of making those dreams a reality. My girls and I plan on building a self-sustaining living community. It will show them the importance of respecting others and nature. Staying close to nature can be grounding, especially with the technology overload we are faced with daily. I want to raise them to give back to society, and starting this community will be a huge initiative to help people to live more fulfilling lives. As for MMA, I originally planned on just having that one & only fight, but I am a fighter at heart, and fighters fight. I was bitten by the bug! I can only say that I will approach MMA as I do life, day by day and fight by fight.


10. Is there anyone you'd like to thank?

I will be more detailed than usual here as I am blessed by the amount of people I would like to thank. My mother, she never gives up on me, even when I want to give up on myself. My daughters… 2 starry eyed girls that look at me like I can do anything. My fight family (Fight Club Pittsburgh, Anthony Durnell, Mark Cherico, Khama Worthy, Cody Garbrandt and Robert Meese), you have taken me in as one of you and sacrifice your time to help me improve. Master Joe Cosentino, Josh Erdner, and Cairan Wolfe all great friends, martial artists, mentors and supporters. Master Boon and the U.S. Muay Thai Academy, where I fell in love with Muay Thai. Jimmy Cvetic and 3rd ave. with coaches Rick Manning, Joe Mullen and Lee. (for always rolling my hand-wraps R.I.P) Master Toddy - thank you for that summer in Las Vegas. Mark Miller, Alex Beck and Jim Gardner for the time we trained together at Iron City Gym. Pat Kelly Lee, my lifelong mentor, friend and supporter. Toolkit LLC. Russell A. Watson. Both Pinnacle Fighting Championships and Gladiators of the Cage for having me as their first female fight, I am grateful for these opportunities, even though I lost both fights. My sponsor the Boilermaker’s Union. Ray Ventrone, Bernie Duffy and Mark Angle, you came out of no where, like guardian angels. Our chance meeting turned into the union’s interest in me and the MMA community. Let’s see where this goes! The MMA community, not only have you supported my magazine, but many of you believe in me. I am grateful to be back in this fight world with each of you and hope to make you proud. My friends and fans here in Pittsburgh. I want to live up to what it means to be from the City of Champions.


UPDATE: For more of Jaime Chesney - tune in this Friday at 11:00 AM Eastern Time when Jaime joins Ted Czech & I for the first episode of The DaMMAge Report LIVE over at http://www.blogtalkradio.com/DaMMAgeReport







Jaime and Tony Cousins

Jaime with team-mate Cody Garbrandt
Jaime with Anthony Darnell (l) and Mark Angle Jr.

Fight Club Pittsburgh
Jaime Chesney (l) Vs. Jessica Richman
With FCP team-mates Mark Cherico (l) and Khama Worthy
With Coach Cvetic