Wednesday, March 5, 2014

10 Questions With Lauren Murphy

10 Questions With Lauren Murphy

 







Lauren Murphy didn't plan on being a mixed martial arts fighter. She came to the sport by accident. Originally she found martial arts and MMA when she took her son to Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu class back in 2009. As a way to encourage her son Murphy took lessons with him, and even though he ended up not liking BJJ Lauren basically fell in love with it from the beginning, and she began attending on a regular basis. About 3 months into practicing BJJ Lauren also started training MMA. After about three more months (6 months total from first starting training BJJ and MMA) Murphy made her professional debut without having any amateur fights.  In June of 2010 she defeated Kloiah Wayland by TKO (punches) 17 seconds of the 1st round, and 2 fights later Lauren became the Alaska Fighting Championships Featherweight (145 lbs) Champion. Her next fight was 9 months later for Alaska Cage Fighting, where she defeated Julia Griffin by TKO (punches) at 4:26 of the 2nd round to become the ACF Featherweight Champion. Murphy was undefeated after 4 fights with 4 TKO finishes and winning 2 titles. 

After moving to Florida, Murphy stepped in on short notice to face Jennifer Scott in a Bantamweight (135 lbs) bout at Legacy Fighting Championship 18 on March 1, 2013. She defeated Scott by TKO (elbows) at 4:10 of the 1st round. This win got her noticed by Invicta Fighting Championships, an MMA promotion exclusively for women fighters. One month after her Legacy FC fight Murphy made her Invicta FC debut as a replacement opponent against Kaitlin Young at Invicta FC 5, winning by unanimous decision. Three months later Murphy faced Sarah D'Alelio at Invicta FC 6, winning again by unanimous decision. 

After this fight Murphy was still undefeated at 7 - 0 with 2 wins in Invicta. This earned her an opportunity to fight Miriam Nakamoto that December for the inaugural Invicta FC Bantamweight Championship at Invicta FC 7. Murphy became the Invicta FC Bantamweight (135 lbs) Champion when Nakamoto suffered a knee injury in the fourth round.   

Recently Murphy became a part of the rivalry between UFC Bantamweight Champion "Rowdy" Ronda Rousey and Invicta FC Featherweight Champion Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino. The rivalry between Rousey & "Cyborg" goes back to when both fighters fought at Featherweight for the now defunct promotion Strikeforce. Rousey dropped to Bantamweight & is the current UFC 135 lb champion. After serving a suspension for testing positive for steroids "Cyborg" signed with Invicta FC and is the current 145 lb champion.
 
"Cyborg" announced her intention to drop from Featherweight to Bantamweight part of her plan to eventually fight Ronda Rousey meant proving she could successfully make the cut to 135 lbs. "Cyborg" said she wanted to fight for the Invicta FC Bantamweight title "this Summer" and then would ask for the fight against Rousey in December at the UFC's end-of-the-year event. This means that "Cyborg" is calling out the current Invicta FC Bantamweight Champion, which happens to be Lauren Murphy. This is speculation because so far Invicta FC match-maker Julie Kedzie hasn't confirmed that a fight between "Cyborg" and Murphy is even a possibility for their next event.

Recently I was lucky enough to get to ask Lauren a few questions about how this girl originally from a small town in Alaska became the undefeated Invicta FC Bantamweight Champion. From finding her love of martial arts & MMA by accident to becoming the Invicta FC Bantamweight champ, from juggling being a mom & wife with being a MMA fighter - I hope you enjoy reading about this amazing fighter.


Here's 10 Questions With Lauren Murphy.





1. Tell us a little about yourself.

My name is Lauren Murphy. My record is 8-0 as a pro. I never had any fights as an amateur. I fight at bantamweight, which is 135lbs. I hold three titles, one for the Alaska Fighting Championship (145lbs), one for Alaska Cage Fighting (which is now defunct), and one for Invicta Fighting Championships (135lbs).



2. How did you get started in MMA?

I never played any sports before beginning MMA. I had always wanted to learn a martial art, but figured I was too old (I was 27). I have a son who was 8 or 9 at the time, and I took him to a Jiu-Jitsu class. I didn’t even know what Jiu-Jitsu was, I just wanted to take him so that he would have the opportunity to learn a martial art. A sport like that can do wonders for a kid, it teaches them self-confidence, social skills, integrity, responsibility, sportsmanship - the list goes on and on. I didn’t realize it teaches all those things to adults as well! So I took my son to a class, and figured I would try it with him. He ended up not liking it, but I absolutely loved it. So I stayed. A few months in, I started meeting fighters and was really fascinated by them. I started taking some boxing lessons and working out with the MMA team and before I knew it, I took a fight. I was very curious about what it would be like to fight. I wanted to have a war with someone



3. What gym(s) do you train at and what is it like training there?

I train at Gracie Barra Katy, currently. It’s amazing. I really love my coaches and team mates. My coaches have taught me so much in every area. I feel like I am ten times the fighter I was a year ago. My team mates there are really committed to helping me as well. They show up even when they don’t want to, or have better things to do. I also stop by Gracie Barra Westchase, Champions, and Texas (Draculino’s school) to work with the athletes there. Each school has a different feel and I go for different things.




4. What do you feel your strengths are as a fighter?

First and foremost, my work ethic is unmatched, as far as I can tell. I never waste time in a camp. I am always working at 110% to make sure I am improving at as fast a rate as possible. Other strengths about me are: I am hard to break mentally. I never give up. Also, I’m really physically strong. So, I’m strong and I’m tough, and I made it pretty far on just those two attributes alone, really. Now that I have started adding some skill to the mix, it makes for a pretty awesome fighter.



5. What do you feel you need to work on to be a more complete fighter?

I just really want to keep improving my game in all areas. I’m fairly well rounded, so the only thing really missing from my game is time.




6. You recently defeated Miriam Nakamoto at Invicta FC 7 to become the inaugural Invicta FC Bantamweight champion. What is next for you?


I have no idea when my next fight will be, or against who. I am just training and trying to practice things I am not really comfortable with in my off time. My goal is to be the very best I can be and give this sport my all. I want to look back when I am in my 40’s and 50’s, and be proud of what I did during this time



7. Women's MMA is growing in popularity with the Invicta FC, the UFC & WSOF showcasing female fighters. What do you think of this and women's MMA becoming more mainstream? 

Well of course I think it’s great!! Women are very talented and tough fighters. We like to put on a show.




8. Recently UFC fighter Matt Brown made some 'interesting' comments on his podcast regarding women in MMA and you responded publicly to his comments... what are your thoughts on what he had to say?

I think Matt Brown said some stupid crap that he thought was going to be funny, which turned out to just be incredibly sexist. I think that’s the first rule of being a comedian: Know your audience. It’s the kind of joke you make with your closest friends, in a setting where maybe you and they think it’s absolutely hilarious. You don’t say that kind of stuff in a public forum where everyone is going to hear it and be offended. In all honesty, I have made some pretty tasteless, raunchy, horrible jokes around my friends and husband, that for whatever reason, we found just hysterical. But I would never repeat them around anyone else, and certainly not in public. Usually, later on, they aren’t even funny anymore. Ya gotta know your audience. As far as women not having knock out power…tell that to "Cyborg" (Cristiane Justino), Alida Gray, Jihn Yu Frey, Holly Holm...




9. Who are some of your role models?

My husband, first and foremost. He’s a great guy. Not only is he very talented athletically, he’s also very kind and always tries to do the right thing. My son, he always makes me want to be a better person. In MMA, it changes often. I like Jose Aldo a lot because he is so fast and technical. And I like Forrest Griffin, because he was a normal guy who worked super hard and made something of himself.




10.Is there anyone you'd like to thank?

I’d like to thank my team at Gracie Barra Katy, especially my coaches, Pat Applegate, Alex Cisne, and Aaron Pena. All my team mates who helped me get this far. I really want to thank my husband for supporting me in all this and being the man that he is.



(photos & video used with permission of Lauren Murphy)




Face-off with Nakamoto for Invicta FC 7
















Response to Matt Brown's Comments












Women's MMA Round-up Post-fight Interview - Invicta FC7

MMA Mayhem Post-fight Interview - Invicta FC7