Wednesday, May 14, 2014

10 Questions With Shawna Anderson







I always try to keep current on the up-and-coming fighters. So when someone I consider to be a friend (Little Patricia Vidonic) asks me to interview someone, they must be worth knowing. All I knew before this interview was that Shawna Anderson is close with Little Patricia Vidonic & that she is set to fight Sarah McLeod at Bakken Rumble this week. Do yourself a favor, read up on Shawna now... she is definitely going to be someone you'll be hearing more  about in the upcoming months. A fighter with tons of potential, I feel she is a star on the rise. I want to thank Shawna for taking time out of her busy schedule preparing for McLeod to answer a few questions. Here's 10 Questions With Shawna Anderson.






Shawna Vs. Sarah McLeod - Bakken Rumble






1. Tell us a little about yourself.

I’m 28 yrs old and grew up on a farm/ranch near the tiny town of Streeter, ND. After graduating high school I attended North Dakota State University and received my bachelors in Biological Sciences. For the past 2 ½ yrs I’ve worked as a geologist on an oil rig in Western North Dakota. Last fall I moved to Orting, WA and have been traveling back and forth to work and train. In my spare time I love being outdoors enjoying activities such as hiking, skiing, hunting, and boating.


2. How did you get started in MMA?

I’ve always been captivated by MMA and for years I would watch events and think “man I’d love to do that” but it wasn’t until I moved to Williston, ND in 2012 that I started training. I saw a flier for an mma gym and it sparked a feeling inside me that I couldn’t ignore. As soon as I walked through the door and met the coach, who is now my husband, I was hooked. It was definitely intimidating working with pro fighters and other talented guys since I had zero experience but I stuck it out and had my first amateur fight less than two months later.


3. What gym(s) do you train at and what is it like training there?

I trained at Williston MMA for a majority of my career and it’ll always have a special place in my heart. Our motto was “no one works harder than us” and we had some brutal practices to say the least but when you have great teammates it doesn’t seem so bad. I had the honor of working with some amazing people and made some great friendships. It was such a fun, upbeat atmosphere with great motivation; I’d look forward to training every day. Currently I’m not attached to a gym and am working individually with my trainer and husband.


4. What do you feel your strengths are as a fighter?

I’ve been blessed with certain athletic abilities, such as sheer strength, and my amateur career has shown that I can take a beating and don’t quit no matter what- heart goes a long way in a fight. Also, I’ve been studying Shotokan karate and feel this different style will be a huge asset in future fights.


5. What do you feel you need to work on to be a more complete fighter?

I feel that I’m relatively well-rounded but need to improve my movement and how to utilize angles. I also need to spend time working my take downs and ground game. Jiu-Jitsu isn’t my favorite style to say the least but is crucial in the world of MMA.



6. You are set to fight Sara McLeod at Bakken Rumble on May 16th. What do you expect from your opponent and what is your basic game-plan for the fight?

Sarah’s a striker and I expect her to come out hard with jabs and crosses straight down the pipe. I also love to stand so my plan is to keep it standing and beat her at her own game; however I feel my ground is stronger so if the opportunity is there I’ll go for the take-down.


7. Women's MMA is growing in popularity with the UFC & Invicta showcasing female fighters. The UFC has is adding a Straw-weight division to the roster after the success of the Bantamweight division. What do you think of this and women's MMA becoming more mainstream?

Right now is such an exciting time for female fighters. I think it’s wonderful that it’s growing in popularity and that the UFC has expanded to include women. There are a lot of terrific female fighters that are now getting the recognition they deserve and I hope to be a part of it in the near future.


8. Who are some of your role models?

My role models are my parents, brother, and the people that I’ve had the pleasure of training with: Patricia Vidonic because of her amazing work ethic, positive attitude, and selflessness in helping others-she is a true role model for anyone in the MMA world; Kelly Ellingson for her sheer courage and determination. This is a woman that walked into the gym to take a boot camp class, ended up in the MMA class, outperformed most of the guys, and worked harder than anyone I’ve ever seen. She’s such a terrific person and I’m honored to call her my friend. Last but not least my husband Brandon. His ability as a fighter, how he’s able to motivate and reach others and how much he truly cares for his students/teammates is astounding. He represents the sport very well and I only hope I can live up to the same standard.


9. What are your plans for the future?

I’m committed 100% to my MMA career. I feel I have the tools and ability to make it big so I decided to take a leap of faith, take the summer off from my job, and train like a successful pro fighter needs to train. Up until now my schedule has made it difficult to achieve my goals. I’m so excited to be able to dedicate myself to training, have the freedom to travel to different gyms, spend time with family, and enjoy the outdoors.


10. Is there anyone you'd like to thank?

I’d like to thank my sponsors for helping make this dream possible—Montana Soap, Minute Lube, Dakota Landing, Tri-County Glass, Iron Jaw Custom Mouth Guards, Octane Addictions, You Mad, and Adventure Taxidermy. I’d also like to thank my friends for all their support, my Shihan James McPhaden for spending countless hours molding me into the fighter I’m becoming, my husband for being the best coach/training partner I could ask for from day 1, and most importantly God for giving me the strength and determination to be a pro fighter. Through Him everything is possible and I’m so grateful to my husband for helping me find my faith.