Monday, January 28, 2013

10 Questions With Rell Hodge



Jerrell "Thunderkat" Hodge



I first heard about Jerrell "Thunderkat" Hodge almost a year ago. Oddly enough it was because of the hype/drama resulting from an amateur fight (not involving him) that didn't happen, well, not until months later & in the pro ranks. Hodge's name came up in the talks between Charlie Gathers & Tyler Saltsman after their match for "Mayhem on the Mountain" back in April of 2012 didn't happen. Saltsman ended up fighting someone else, and was disqualified after an illegal strike happened. (something Saltsman disputes) Two months later Saltsman faced Hodge in his final amateur fight and won by decision. Somehow Saltsman (who never seems to miss an opportunity to 'stir the pot' or instigate drama) began verbal sparring sessions with Gathers over his decision to not fight at an event in a tent during late winter/early spring in Central Pennsylvania.

The conversations I saw went from Saltsman saying Gathers was afraid to fight him, to how he felt he really won the fight in spite of the disqualification, to Saltsman offering his opinion on the various people he had faced, and/or people wanting to fight him.

In the midst of all this I first heard of the "Thunderkat" and so I looked his record up online & tried to find some fight video of him. Since his win over Hodge, Tyler Saltsman & Charlie Gathers both turned pro and they almost faced each other in October at World Cagefighting Championships 5, but when several fights had to be cancelled the event didn't happen and the two ended up fighting a month later at Complete Devastation 7 in Altoona, Pa. While that was happening Jerrell stayed among the amateur ranks and was making his way through the competition in the NAAFS promotion based in Ohio. Since that loss to Saltsman back in June Jerrell Hodge has been on a 3 fight win streak. After defeating dangerous competitor Shane Valko back in December, Hodge was crowned the NAAFS Bantamweight (135 lb) Champion.

I have seen Valko fight live, and Hodge winning by Unanimous Decision is quite an accomplishment. The amateur rules in Ohio are slightly different than the ones used in Pennsylvania, and some fighters seem to favor this Ohio system over Pennsylvania's because it appears to be better preparation for them making the move to the pro ranks. (although the State Athletic Commission in Pennsylvania is in the process of implementing a '2 tier' system for amateurs, which hopefully will improve the way fighters can compete at the amateur level)

I had been gradually been becoming a fan of the "Thunderkat", and after learning of his win over Valko I was on board and have been campaigning to get promotions here in Central Pa to put Jerrell Hodge on the fight cards so fans of MMA can see this up-and-coming fighter. Even though he's fighting at 135 lb I feel that a perfect match-up for Hodge here in Central Pa. would be against 145 lb ammy Cody "Lenny" Karlheim. I would love to see this fight go down at the upcoming Complete Devastation 8 event in Altoona, Pa. on March 2nd - hopefully fight fans and myself will get to see this fight happen - I totally believe this would be a barn-burner fight that could easily be a main event and/or "Fight of the Night" type of war.

Whether you go see him fight in Ohio or Pennsylvania, if you love exciting fights, then the "Thunderkat" is someone you need to put on your 'must see' list. I predict you'll be hearing his name alot in the future after he makes the jump to pro, so do yourself a favor and see him on the local/regional circuit before the larger promotions get smart & snatch him to the nig show!

Recently I was lucky enough to get to interview Jerrell and find out about the Bantamweight NAAFS champ and proud father of a 15 month old son (Jase) from Twinsburg, Ohio. Here's 10 questions from Jerrell "Thunderkat" Hodge.




1. Tell us a little about yourself.

My name is Jerrell "Thunderkat" Hodge. I'm 23, fighting out of Brickhouse Boxing in Twinsburg, Ohio. My MMA record is 7-1 as a Ammy. I currently hold the NAAFS 135 lb title. I have been training for almost 3 years.


2. How did you get started in MMA?

I first got started in MMA back in 2011 at Brickhouse Boxing - a new club. I was the first fighter to fight for the club. My background growing up was wrestling, and I have wrestled for 8 years (having over 170 career wins) and placing at states my senior year of high school.


3. What is it like training out of your gym?

I train out of Brickhouse Boxing. It's cool at my gym. I've been to other great gyms around my city, but nothing compares to my gym.


4. What do you feel your strengths are as a fighter? What aspects of your training do you feel you need to work on to become a more complete fighter?

I feel my strength is standing and grappling. I believe I can take anyone down. The areas I feel I need to improve on is my takedown defense. I feel it's hard to defend when you are trying to stand with someone and all they want to do is shoot on you.


5. Who are some of your role models?

I look up to Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Isaiah Chapman, Jessica "Evil" Eye, Frank "The Tank" Caraballo and Chris Lazano.


6. When is your next fight and who will you be facing?

At this moment I hope to come out to PA and show my talents out there.


7. Which of your previous fights do you feel is your favorite? Is there any fighter you would like to fight again?

My favorite fight would have to be my fight against Cody Garbraint because that put me on the map and the one I'd like to get back would be Tyler Saltsman fight. I feel I've could have done much better and the outcome would have been different. But I'm over it... I'll see him when I turn pro.


8. If you could choose your next fight, who would you pick for your opponent?

I would like to fight the guy who gave me my only loss, but he turned pro - so I'll have to wait for that. I'd also like to give Shane Valko another fight. I'd like to fight him again because he is a great wrestler. Maybe just a wrestling match would be great, I want to see how great he really is on the mat.


9. Where do you see your MMA career being in the next 2 - 5 years? What are your goals in MMA?

In 2 - 5 years I see myself in the UFC or Bellator. I'm not stopping until I get there.


10. Is there anyone you'd like to thank?

I would like to thank god give me this talent, my family, friends, n fans for the support , my coach Bill Duff and all my people at Brickhouse Boxing. Then my sponsors, Bullet Proof Clothing, 3k Management, Intimidation Clothing, Hang Loose Tattoos, Play It Again Sports, and you for taking the time to let me tell the fans about the "Thunderkat" hooooooo!!








Brickhouse Boxing










Facing Shane Valko for the NAAFS 135 lb Title










Intimidation Clothing sponsored



"Thunderkat" Hodge




Some photos courtesy of Landry Lynne Yankle - Check out Landry Lynne Photos for details