Wednesday, October 16, 2013

10 Questions With Cortney Casey



Cortney "Cast Iron" Casey


Cortney "Cast Iron" Casey is an XFC Flyweight (125lbs) fighter who made her pro debut against Kelly Warren at XFC 24. Cortney scored a first round submission win in that fight. Before turning pro Cortney was 6 - 2 as an amateur and fought for promotions like Tuff-N-Uff and Coalition of Combat. Cortney is a former professional soccer player for the Seattle Sounders and was a D-1 soccer player at the University of Texas El Paso.

Her next fight is against Pearl Gonzales for the XFC Flyweight Title at XFC 26: Night of Champions III. Fighting out of Power MMA in Gilbert, Arizona Cortney and trains with fighters like Aaron Simpson and Ryan Bader.

Recently Cortney took time out of her busy training schedule to answer a few questions, and I appreciate her participating in this interview. I wish her well in her efforts to become the XFC Flyweight Champion. Here's 10 Questions with "Cast Iron" Cortney Casey.








 





1. Tell us a little about yourself.

My name is Cortney Casey I’m 26 years of age and I fight in the 125lbs weight class for the XFC. I currently have a pro record of 1-0 and I fight out of Power MMA in Gilbert, Arizona.



2. What sports/martial arts did you participate and how did you get started in MMA?

I grew up playing soccer and doing karate and Tae Kwon Do. When I was in about 5th grade I had to make a choice on what I wanted to focus my time on. I made the choice to stick with soccer and I don’t regret on moment of it. I play high school, college, and even some semi-pro as well. After suffering an injury that kept me side lined. I started to look for alternative activities to fill the competitive void in my life. Grappling was suggested by a classmate of mine and after one day of training I was hooked.


3. What gym(s) do you train at, and what is it like training there?

I train out of Power MMA in Gilbert, Arizona. We have a few fighters that you may know about. Aaron Simpson, Ryan Bader, C.B. Dollaway, Seth Baczynski, and Brendan Tierney. It is awesome being able to work beside these guys and learn from them. Its not always easy being the only Girl in a group of such high level male fighters, but the camaraderie of everyone in the gym is awesome and if you’re a fighter you’re a fighter no matter what your sex is and I think that is super awesome to have that kind of respect from my teammates.


4. What do you feel your strengths are as a fighter?

I think my strengths are my pace and aggressiveness. I like to push the pace and make everywhere you go uncomfortable.


5. What do you feel you need to work on to be a more complete fighter?

Everything I don’t think you can ever be perfect in this sport. Every aspect of MMA is evolving and it’s doing so very quickly so you have to really train everything to keep up with the growth of the sport.


6. You are set to fight Pearl Gonzalez for the vacant XFC Flyweight Title on October 18th at XFC 26: Night of Champions III. How are you preparing for this fight, and what do you expect from your opponent?

I have implemented more wrestling in to my training just because she like to take the fight to the ground, but other than that camp hasn’t changed much. I think this fight is going to be super exciting we both like to push the pace and that always leads to an action packed fight.


7. Which of your fights is your favorite? Is there a fighter you wish you could fight again, if so which fighter would that be?

My favorite fight would have to be my first fight in Arizona vs. Katrina Teer. This was the first fight where I really got the chance to stand and bang with someone. as far as fighting someone again I really have no aspiration to do so.


8. Who are some of your role models?

In life I would have to say my mom, she always supported me in everything I have done. In MMA I would have to say all the first group of female fighters that paved the way for us to be where we are at today.


9. What are your goals in MMA?

After this fight on the 18th I really have no plans other than to get back to training. Other than that the rest is in the hands of the XFC and what they want next for me. My long term goals in MMA are to continue to grow as much as I can in the sport and to be a good ambassador for the younger generation of warriors.


10. Is there anyone you would like to thank?

I would like to thank Power MMA. Drysdale BJJ, Lockdown Clothing, Kimurawear, Mentom Eyewear, My Urban Swagga, Liquid Ninja, Soap-a-licious, and Klench Mouth Guards. I would also like to thank my manager Mercedes White at Luta Elite.



The XFC will be live streaming the XFC MMA 26 weigh ins Thursday at 5pm on USTREAM! Thanks to their friends at LocalMMAonline.com
















Tune in to AXS TV Friday night at 9:00PM Eastern time for XFC 26: Night of Champions III, and you can make your picks using the AXS TV Fight App:





XFC 26 FIGHT CARD: (subject to change)

Main Event Lightweight Championship:
Roger “The Leperchaun” Carroll Vs Scott “Hot Sauce” Holtzman (Champ)
Co-Main Event Women’s Flyweight Championship:
Cortney “Cast Iron” Casey Vs Pearl Gonzalez Flyweight 125lbs.
Jason “The Ronin” Hicks Vs Deivison “Dragon” Ribeiro Featherweight 145 lbs.
Justin Davis Vs Luis “Sapo” Santos Catchweight
Hannah “Shockwave” Cifers Vs “Hurricane” Heather Jo Clark Strawweight 115 lbs.
Luke Sanders Vs. Zach “Thunderwood” Underwood Featherweight 145 lbs.

Undercard Prelims
Nate “The Train” Landwehr Vs Keith “Rockstar” Richardson Featherweight 145 lbs.
Gerric Hayes Vs Nate Jolly Welterweight 170 lbs.
Ben Brewer Vs Anthony Lemon
Kenny Degenhardt Vs Brian Hall
Jason Gifford Vs Mario Scott
Cromwell Stewart Vs. Willie Taylor Jr.