Wednesday, November 21, 2012

10 Questions With Mike Kunowsky





Micheal Kunowsky - Dignan/Brumbaugh MMA fighter






When I met with Mike Kunowsky for this article he was preparing to fight at Complete Devastation 7. But circumstances beyond his control resulted in him not participating at the event. His opponent had pulled out of the fight, and I can only imaging how frustrating it was to train very hard for so long to prepare for a fight, only for it to not happen. Mike is a member of the Dignan/Brumbaugh MMA fight team, and a 3 - 1 amateur with promise. He is someone worth watching, he has tons of potential.

Here's 10 questions with Michael Kunowsky:





1. Tell us some basic info about yourself.
30 year old Ammy, 165 with a 3 - 1 record.


2. How did you get involved with MMA?
I kind of fell into it. I used to work with Ryan Glunt who one day told me he was going to Ohio to take part in a fight card. I had been involved in boxing for two years prior to that, so I said,  "Not without me". Ryan asked if I wanted to go, and I said that I want to fight. So with about a month prior to the event I went up to Dignan/Brumbaugh MMA and I began to train. I pulled out my first victory a 20 second stoppage from strikes to the head. That's a feeling I'll never forget.


3. What do you feel your strengths as a fighter are?
By far the people I have worked with (staff and coaching) from day one til now.  Also every single person I know that will not let me give up or quit this sport. Win or lose I know most of them love me.


4. What do you feel you need to work on to become a more well-rounded fighter?
I'm very critical of my game and I know where my holes and gaps are. So as far as that goes it's just a matter of executing what is instilled within me.


5. How has training at Dignan/Brumbaugh MMA helped you as a fighter?
They just didn't help a fighter, they have made me the fighter I am today.


6. How are you preparing for your upcoming fight at Complete Devastation 7 this Saturday?
Same as usual. I'm not really worried about it.


7.  How has your life changed because of MMA?
Growing up I never really liked going into the woods and shooting chipmunks or deer, but when I got to hunt people (in the cage) that changed me.


8. Who are some of your role models?
There are so many where to begin: The Gracies, Ken Shamrock, Tito Ortiz, Chuck Liddell, GSP, Anderson Silva, Pat Johnson, Jon "Bones" Jones, Vitor Belfort, Mike Tyson, Tyrone Spong, Tank Abbott, and the Diaz Bros are all fighters I look up to and hope to be like as a mixed martial artist.


9. Do you have any sponsors/coaches/people you'd like to thank?
I would like to thank anyone who took time out of their life to make me successful in this sport.


10. What do you hope to accomplish in your fighting career?
Absolutely nothing I do this for fun.




Me with Charlie Gathers, Mike Kunowsky, and Brett Shoenfelt