Thursday, December 6, 2012

10 Questions With Tecia Torres



Tecia "The Tiny Tornado" Torres


Tecia Torres got started in martial arts at a very young age. When she was 5 years old her mom enrolled her in Karate, and by the time she was 13 Tecia earned her Black Belt. She took time off from martial arts at 17 when she began college (she graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice and Sociology at age 20) but only a year later she discovered Muay Thai fighting and she regained her interest in martial arts. In High School she participated in varsity soccer and has held 7 titles for fighting as an amateur. Tecia is a 4 time World Kickboxing champion and has won 3 titles as an amateur in MMA.

Being just 5'1" tall and fighting in the 115 lb division for MMA, she has been called "The Tiny Tornado" and after remaining undefeated in 7 amateur fights she made the transition to the pro ranks with a win over Kaiyana Rain at InvictaFC 3 back in October. She is scheduled to face Paige "12 Gauge" VanZant at InvictaFC 4 in January for her second professional MMA fight. 

Tecia is an amazing, multidimensional person, and an incredible fighter. She trains with other top-notch MMA fighters (both male & female) at American Top Team in Coconut Creek, Florida. She is an exciting fighter and someone with a bright future ahead of her. Do yourself a favor and watch her on January 5th at InvictaFC 4. The promotion has a reputation for putting on some of the most amazing & exciting fights in MMA, and every fight at InvictaFC 3 could have been on the main card for a PPV event. 

Tecia is an up-and-coming fighter you'll be hearing alot about in the weeks/months to come - if you haven't already. Recently I had the honor & privilege to ask her a few questions, and I hope you enjoy reading about Tecia as I did in interviewing her.



Here's 10 Questions with Tecia "The Tiny Tornado" Torres.






1. Tell us a little about yourself. 

I am 23, I fight in the 115lb straw-weight division. As a professional Women's MMA fighter I am 1-0. As an amateur I was 7-0. I am currently signed with Invicta Fighting Championships, an all-female pro MMA organization. I fight out of American Top Team in Coconut Creek, Fl.


2. How did you get started in MMA?

In '95 I began Karate when I was 5 years old. That transitioned in Kickboxing at the age of 18. After 20 Muay Thai bouts, and receiving a blue belt in BJJ I decided to give MMA a try in September 2011. Since then I've been very successful and turned my focus onto MMA.


3. What is it like training at American Top Team?

I am among other pro female fighters at ATT, and I'd say that is my biggest advantage. Among those I train most with are India Gomes, Nina Ansaroff and Jessica Aguilar.


4. What do you feel your strengths are as a fighter?

I am unpredictable and very energetic. I don't like staying still. I tend to favor my standup but I am willing to work the ground game if needed. I am fast and strong for 115 lbs. I am entertaining.


5. What aspects of your training do you feel you need to work on to become a more complete fighter?

Of course my Jiu-Jitsu and wrestling, because it is the newest aspect of my game. Ive always been standup until the most recent years.


6. After winning your pro debut against Kaiyana Rain at InvictaFC3 and you are set to face Paige VanZant at InvictaFC 4 on January 5th. What are your thoughts on this fight?

My fight with Kaiyana went exactly how I played it out in my head. She is a very tough and talented fighter, but I was able to play to my strengths and come out with the W. I believe my fight with Paige will be much like my debut, she seems like a striker so I think she will try and stand with me striking, but end up clinching and tryout my ground game if she is successful with a takedown. I am ready for all that she has.


7. Who are some of your role models?

Role models in life would be my mother for persevering thru all the rough times we went thru growing up, yet always loving me more than life itself. In MMA I tend to look up to the fighters who fight for positive reasons, not for fame or money, but because they love the art of the sport.


8. Women's MMA is growing in popularity (because of promotions showcasing women's MMA like Bellator, Strikeforce, XFC & Invicta) what do you think of Women's MMA becoming more mainstream?

I love it. Women's MMA is able to impact the lives of many in so many positive ways. We encourage young girls to be who they want to be, inspire women and young ladies to learn self-defense, some even become fighters themselves. Women are just as entertaining as men and often we steal the show. We are very technical and talented, now we are getting a platform to show our skills and breaking barriers, opening minds to a new wave and era of MMA.


9. The UFC has signed Ronda Rousey, Miesha Tate & other fighters to form a 135 pound division, what do you think of this and what are your plans for the future?

I am happy the UFC is finally getting on board with Women's MMA, but this is only after Invicta Promotion has begun and had 3 very successful shows. Nonetheless we are spreading the word and people are listening and watching. My plans are to become the best possible fighter I can be. First Id like to make it to the top 10 of my weight class world-wide. Once I'm there I will be happy and know Ive made it and an impression in the sport.


10. Is there anyone you'd like to thank?

I'd like to thank anyone and everyone who has ever helped me in my career dating back to '95. My family, friends, and my faith in Jesus Christ.




"The Tiny Tornado" Tecia Torres
InvictaFC 3 poster

Tecia with InvictaFC3 opponent Kaiyana Rain

Celebrating the victory at InvictaFC 3
Tecia at a Bellator event
Tecia (r) with Jessica "Evil" Eye

Tecia at Carlson Gracie - Miami
Tecia Torres Vs. Paige VanZant at InvictaFC 4

InvictaFC 4 fight card (card subject to change)

InvictaFC 4 featuring Tecia Torres Vs. Paige VanZant

Tecia Torres Vs. Kaiyana Rain - InvictaFC 3

Jose Santiago of InsidePunch.com interviewing Tecia about her MMA debut








Photos courtesy of http://www.TeciaTorres.com , http://www.InvictaFC.com and Tecia's Facebook pages. Videos are from InvictaFC's YouTube channel & the Inside Punch YouTube channel.