Monday, July 29, 2013

10 Questions With Alex Corrales







Recently I had the opportunity to interview Oregon amateur flyweight Alex Corrales. MMAmadhouse is one of the Alex's sponsors as he is set to face Luis Gomez at Cage Warrior Combat VI for the 125 title (ammy) on August 3rd. Corrales is already the amateur flyweight champion for the UCL, FCFF & Budo Fights promotions, so he is no stranger to the cage even though he is currently an amateur, so if he wins his fight this weekend it would be the 4th title he will hold consecutively. I appreciated that Alex took time out of his busy schedule preparing to fight Gomez to answer a few questions... so here is 10 Questions With Alex Corrales.






1. Tell us some basic info about yourself.

Alex Corrales I am 21 years old. I fight at 125lb flyweight division. I am currently an amateur holding the Budo Fights, UCL, and the FCFF flyweight titles. I train out of Victor Submission fighting academy in Bend, Oregon.



2. How did you get involved with MMA?

I have always competed in all different sports when I was growing up. I am very competitive person and always worked hard to be the best no matter what I was doing. Whether it's mopping floors or running a football I always wanted to be the best! So when I found MMA, the raw competition of 1 on 1 fight really caught my eye! The chance to perform in front of big crowd of people to see who truly is the better man is a amazing feeling. So the reason for MMA was I am a competitor and nothing better then strapping on some gloves and seeing who leaves with there hand raised.



3. Tell us about what it is like training at your gym.

I train at Erik Victor's. (gym) It has been mainly a ground dominate gym. My ground game can always hang with just about anyone. Erik drilled the basics into my head for first couple years and I got it down. Then started adding more to my overall game. I also work with an awesome Muay Thai coach that has taken my stand up to a awesome level! It's all around a great place for me and I feel like those guys are my family and we do anything for each other. Also Aaron Wolf my manager and good friend took my wrestling game from knowing pretty much nothing to dominating wrestlers in there own game. We worked on it for about a year straight and its finally starting to come together for me.



4. What do you feel are your strengths are an an MMA fighter?

I think what makes me hard to deal with is that I am pretty well rounded. I fight very level headed. I don't let emotions or anything get to me. I stay focused on my main goal which getting my hand raised. I always come in with great cardio and ready to push the pace and set a in your face type of fight. Also you have to kill me to make me stop. I hate to quit and I will never give up in a fight. If you have my arm I am gonna let it go until I know it's gonna break. If you have a choke I am going to sleep. If I lose its because someone was the better man that night. I don't make excuses I show up to put on great show and I compete to win at all cost!



5. What aspects of your training do you feel you still needs work to become a more complete MMA fighter?

My all around game. I don't think you can ever perfect anything in this sport. I look to improve all my skills every time I fight.



6. You are scheduled to fight against Luis Gomez at Cage Warrior Combat VI for the 125 title (ammy) on August 3rd, what are you expecting from him and how do you plan to overcome his gameplan?

I am expecting a tough grind-y fight. I know he is gonna try to take me down. But I also know it's easier said then done and I am gonna be in his face from start to finish. I know it's gonna be good fight but I know my pace and style of fighting is gonna get my hand raised!



7. Which of your previous fights do you feel is your favorite? Is there any fighter you would like to fight again?

My last fight against Brian was a back and fourth hard fought fight. It was the rubber match and we went at it for 5 rounds. That's my favorite fight so far. I would love to fight Adam King. He knocked me out over year ago and I been trying get that rematch since it happened and things never fell in place. I can't thank him enough for it because it changed my game to whole different level. I would do just about anything to get that one. But that's a fight that I have tried and have given up on for now. I have high level guys I am trying to go after right now and its something that wouldn't really help my career at the moment.



8. Who are some of your role models?

My biggest role model is my Dad. He has done so much in his life and was a professionally Jockey. He left his home in Panama to come to the US and worked his ass off to try make something of himself. He left with a dream and never let anyone tell him that couldn't do it. He became a really successful jockey and now trainer. He always supports me and tells me I can do anything if I work hard and want it bad enough. Before every fight he calls me and we talk and his final words always put stamp in my head and I replay them before the fight is about to happen. I hope one day I am half the man my dad is. My mom is also someone I look up to. She raised everyone in my family to be good kids and respectful. She always supports the decisions we make and has are back through anything. Very strong person.



9. What are your goals as an MMA fighter?

I want to be the UFC flyweight Champion.



10. Is there anyone you'd like to thank?

I'd like to thank all my family and friends that always support me through everything. I want thank Erik Victor for being there with helping my game from the start. He has been great to me and has my back no matter what. Also Aaron wolf, he has put so much time and energy into helping me reach my goals. He has been there to help with anything when I call for help. He would do anything to help me and I got nothing but respect for someone like him. And to all my sponsors and fans! Thank you for taking the time to talk with me! Cant wait to put on show for the Seattle area!