Wednesday, July 17, 2013

10 Questions With Paul Riggleman



Paul "Lionheart" Riggleman







Because of VFL 40 at the Jaffa Shrine in Altoona, Pa. I became aware of local Altoona MMA fighter Paul "Lionheart" Riggleman, training out of the Altoona Center for Martial Arts. Paul had lost that fight due to doctor stoppage, but he will be back in action again at the Jaffa Shrine for VFL 42 - this Friday July 19th. Recently I had the opportunity to ask Paul a few questions as he prepared for this fight... here is 10 Questions With Paul Riggleman.







1. Tell us some basic info about yourself.
My name is Paul "Lionheart" Riggleman. I am an ammy fighter looking to make a run at a title hopefully turn pro. My field of study is tactical Hapkido. I train with the Pelligrino family at the Altoona Center for Martial Arts. I hold a yellow belt right now looking for green in August. My current weight division is welterweight, because I'm a natural 177lb guy walking around and it feels great at that weight.


2. How did you get involved with MMA?
George St-Pierre. Watching his work ethic and how he trains really set a tone for my involvement in MMA. I went to a local show one time in Connellsville, Pa. for Simons promotions. A few of my good friends were fighting A.J. Bosely and P.J. Palmer. I watched what they put into their fights and it was inspiring to me.


3. Tell us about what it is like training at your gym.
The intensity of the way we train (at Altoona Center for Martial Arts) is fantastic! Adam and Joe Pelligrino have spent so much time with me there it feels like a second home. My father Ronald Riggleman who is no longer with us studied under Master Brian Gates in the same building years ago. So when I walk in there it really feels like home. We are a family.


4. You lost your amateur debut at VFL 40, how did that effect the way you are preparing for your next fight?
I did lose but let me tell you Roman Swaner who is also on this card is 2-0 now. I popped a rib after the first round and the doctor stopped it. But no excuses we take loses to heart and learn from it. I have a very tough opponent ahead of me July 19th. He's a brawler. He has a chin but I def know I'm in way better shape. I'm just gonna work and work go to war.  Everyday I wake up put on my shoes a hoodie put on my headphones and take a run. To find myself something I wasn't able to do for my last. My mind is definitely in the right place this time.


5. What do you feel are your strengths are an an MMA fighter?
My stand up for sure. Being a Hapkido fighter we tend to be more daring and step into punched and kicks just to hit you back. My kicks are becoming devastating with power and combos are starting to fly.


6. What aspects of your training do you feel you still needs work to become a more complete MMA fighter?
We could all be a little better in shape I think. As fighters there are definitely aspects of the cage we need to work on. Right now my lack of experience hurts me.


7. Who are some of your role models? (in life and in MMA)
I could go on forever there are so many different fighters and styles I love. Frank Mir because he's a got a heart of stone. And a sick ground game. George St-Pierre because I love his work ethic. I train like he does to go all 3 rounds and just work . I'm not looking to finish you early. In life it would be both of my grandfathers. Those gentlemen have paved away for me to make in whatever I may wanna do. (love you granddads)


8.  You are scheduled to fight against Scott Athey at VFL 42 here in Altoona on July 19th, what are you expecting from your opponent and how do you plan to overcome his gameplan?
I'm expecting a brawler. A guy who's looking to finish and has dangerous power. I need to keep moving, stay busy and either finish it late in the fight with a TKO or submit him on the ground. No judges score cards this fight - it will be WAR!


9. What are your goals as an MMA fighter?
My goals are just to be the best that I can be compete as long as the good lord allows me..I do wanna turn pro and hold an ammy title..that's my dream an ammy belt. A couple wins in a row, then maybe I'll get VFL's attention and earn an ammy title fight.


10. Is there anyone you'd like to thank?
I wanna thank all my coaches and everyone who has stuck by me and showed me that I cam do anything I wanna do. Special thanks to my children my son Broden who is 5 and my daughter Marlee who is 4. Daddy is gonna leave it all in the cage regardless of the outcome. But I control the outcome no one else. Its been great, thank you for the time looking forward to seeing you soon!

I just want people to know that I'm a completely different fighter than I was in January. I started training with Adam Pelligrino he had turned me around, and going through a divorce while raising my two babies has helped me realize what kind of man I want to be. I want to be honest and loyal to my friends and family. I can't wait for the fight on the 19th. I want to say a special "happy birthday" to Casey Lykens - I love you sweetheart! And I must say she has been so amazing through all of this, and I appreciate having her by my side.





VFL 42 July 19th in Altoona, Pa.
















For tickets, contact Paul on his Facebook page (link above) or visit the official website for VFL at http://www.vflmma.com