Tuesday, July 30, 2013

10 Questions With Alexa Conners








Because of my friendship with Molly from Southern MMA Mgt. I have been lucky to find out about some amazing fighters from the SC/NC/TN/GA/VA area. The promotions from this area of the Country is packed with exciting fighters that people should be watching now, because I predict many of them will be moving on to regional/national promotions like Resurrection Fighting Alliance, Legacy Fighting Championships, XFC, Bellator, and even the UFC.

One of the fighters making waves in the South Carolina fight scene is Alexa Conners of Columbia, SC. Training out of Sor Sumrit Muay Thai (home to fellow "Murder Squad" fighter Varon Webb as well as  Antwan Penn) and Ridge Pointe Academy. She told me she lived here in Pennsylvania for awhile (in Mechanicsburg & Reading and going to school at Cumberland Valley) before moving to South Carolina. Currently an amateur bantamweight with a 2 - 0 record, Alexa is set to face Tennessee fighter Lynzee Johnson at Caged Chaos 7 on August 10th. 

Recently Alexa defeated Andy Nguyen at Warfare 9 by TKO because Nguyen couldn't answer the bell for Round 2 from the strikes Alexa landed on her in the first round. Conners is showing some devastating striking for only having 2 MMA fights to her record, which could be a good sign of things to come. If her most recent performance is any indication of future possibilities, August 10th could be a disappointing night for Lynzee Johnson.

I was lucky enough to get a chance to ask Alexa a few questions as she is preparing for her Caged Chaos 7 fight, and I appreciate her taking time from her training schedule to participate in this interview. Here is 10 Questions With Alexa Conners.



1. Tell us a little about yourself.

I am 22 yrs old. I fight the bantamweight (135lb) division. I am an ammy, record 2-0. I fight out of Ridge Pointe Academy and Sor Sumrit Muay Thai. I have a Muay Thai/ Kickboxing belt from a tournament I won 2 yrs ago in Anderson, SC.


2. How did you get started in MMA? 

I got started in MMA from an old manager of mine.  He asked me if I would like to try it one night and I went to the gym and fell in love. I have been training for over 2 years now.


3. What do you feel your strengths are as a fighter?

I love the stand up and striking game. But I have been working very hard on my wrestling and ground game. I am starting to enjoy it as well.



4. What do you feel you need to work on to be a more complete fighter?

Patience and timing on striking and takedowns.



5. What is it like training at your gym?

All the fighters are determined and intense when we work out at the gyms. We all want to see each other succeed.


6. You recently won your fight at Warfare 9, what is next for you?

I fight August 10th in Columbia SC for Caged Chaos 7 against Lynzee Johnson from TN


7. Who are some of your role models?

My family is my biggest motivation. They all support me. All of my murder squad brothers are who I look up to as fighters.


8. Women's MMA is growing in popularity with Bellator, XFC & Invicta showcasing female fighters. The UFC has signed Ronda Rousey, Miesha Tate, Sara McMann & other fighters to form a 135 pound division. What do you think of this and women's MMA becoming more mainstream?

It's very exciting to see WMMA grow like it has been. I hope to be a part of the growth of WMMA as I keep going forward with my career.


9.What are your plans for the future?

I am going to go as far as MMA will let me. My ultimate dream is to fight for the UFC.


10. Is there anyone you'd like to thank?

I would like to thank my family first for all the support and encouragement. Also like to thank Ridge Pointe Academy's Charles Nutt and Josh Eagans for coaching and training me. Allowing me to perform my best every time. Sor Sumrit Muay Thai Nik Rodriguez for being the best striking coach I could ever ask for.





Alexa Conners Vs. Lynzee Johnson in Columbia, SC.
Alexa Conners Vs. Andy Nguyen at Warfare MMA 9
Alexa Conners with the win from Warfare MMA 9