Thursday, August 29, 2013

10 Questions With Mitchell Killeen


Mitchell Killeen

I remember first seeing Mitchell Killeen fight back at Complete Devastation 2 in November of 2011. Mitchell was fighting against Dignan/Brumbaugh MMA's Tyler Updike for the Complete Devastation MMA Lightweight (155lb ammy) Title. It was a barn-burner of a fight and went the full three rounds, ending with Updike winning by Unanimous Decision. If the promotion gave out fight bonuses like the UFC does for events, I would have to say my vote for "Fight if the Night" would have to go to this fight between Killeen and Updike. Mitchell had begun his amateur MMA career a few months prior to that night in Altoona when he faced Marc Fredericks at Gladiators of the Cage: Road to Glory in Pittsburgh. Mitchell won that fight by Unanimous Decision, and this was the beginning of his relationship with the up-and-coming Pittsburgh-based promotion.

Killeen started out wrestling at a very early age, and had been quite successful as a wrestler before he entered the Army. While in the Military Killeen learned about Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, eventually being asked to become an assistant instructor. Through this he was introduced to competing in MACP Combatives tournaments. When his time in the Army was over he attended college and from here his interest in  MMA grew, resulting in him eventually having his amateur debut at that first installment of "Road to Glory" from Gladiators of the Cage.

Mitchell Killeen is a man dedicated to learning his craft and also to serving others by being an instructor at Evolution MMA and helping the next generations of MMA fighters. He is coming of a win over Michael Guttilla back in April at "Road to Glory 4" and he is preparing to face PJ Palmer at GotC's "Road to Glory 5" on September 7th.

Recently I had the honor to ask Mitchell a few questions, and he was kind enough to take time out of his training schedule to be interviewed. Here's 10 Questions with Mitchell Killeen





With Shawn McMahon (l) and Brad Mountain (r)



1. Tell us a little about yourself.

My name is Mitchell Killeen. I'm 25 years old, I am a fighter and head instructor out of Team Evo MMA in Butler, Pa. - about 40 minutes North of Pittsburgh. I fight in the 155lb Lightweight division and I am 1 - 0 as a professional. (3 - 3 overall) I recently signed up with up-and-coming Pittsburgh based promotion Gladiators of the Cage. I have been fighting for them since beginning my amateur career and I love the guys at GotC.


2. How did you get started in MMA?

I served in the Army active duty and was stationed in South Korea for my first tour in 2008 and I completed the MACP level 1 course - which is basically hand-to-hand combat for soldiers down range to be able to protect themselves in case of a weapon jam or malfunction. The Army adopted the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu mentality and the level one course was all about BJJ. Being a former HS wrestler I fell in love with the sport. I remember heading to the gym after working 15 hour days just to roll with the Black Belts and all the other BJJ practitioners on base. After a couple months and completing the MACP level 2 course I got asked to become an assistant instructor at the dojo as a full time job.

Absolutely the best thing that happened to me was discovering this sport and being able to teach it to thousands of military and law enforcement personnel. It is something I'll never forget. After teaching and training on the regular I began to compete. In a MACP combatives tournament when you reach the finals is the only way you end up putting on 4oz gloves and fight shorts to bang it out in front of tons of soldiers.

I fought in 6 combatives tournaments and made it to the finals in all of them, going 5 - 1. When I finished my time in the service in 2010 coming home from Iraq, I started to attend Slippery Rock University and launched my amateur MMA career.


3. What gym(s) do you train at, and what is it like training there?

I train at Evolution and run the MMA program every Monday, Wednesday & Friday from 7:30PM - 9:00PM. In the gym it's a great atmosphere, and we have experienced guys that walk through the door to train with us, like Jimmy Cerra before he went out West. Also BJJ guru Kody Tuttle is another of the grappling minds I've been able to roll with since moving to Pittsburgh. I have great training partners in the gym and have had good fighters come out of Team Evo MMA. Just to name a few are Zach Shultz burst onto the MMA scene with a blaze of fire and came to the gym with only a wrestling background. He competed in numerous grappling tournaments and holds a 4 - 1 ammy record to date with more wins hopefully on the horizon. He's been my number one sparring partner and I can't wait to see his progression through the years. Team Evo produced fighters like Brad Regis going 1 -0 ammy and Joe Sadaka 1- 1 ammy before work consumed both of their schedules for awhile. Mason Booy is a great team-mate and unfortunately he lost his amateur debut, but he looked amazing in the fight before being submitted by a nasty armbar. He fought out of a similar armbar in the first round, but got caught in the second. Naming all of the student s would take forever, but we have some great up-and-coming fighters like heavyweight Matt Campbell - a prospect refining his game every practice in our gym.


4. What do you feel your strengths are as a fighter?

I've been wrestling since I was 5 and in high school I wrestled for Littlestown, Pa. - a small town about 20 minutes outside of Gettysburg. I was a pretty established wrestler and I wrestled with the best of them, like PIAA AA state champion Gary Mayfield; state place winner Chad Leggett; PIAA AA state champion/Bloomsburg collegiate standout Rick Schmelyun; not to mention wrestling everyday with PIAA AA two time state runner-up Mike Anderson. I made the Pennsylvania 100 win club and I pride myself on my wrestling background. After discovering BJJ, my wrestling became more counter-wrestling and the Jiu-Jitsu took the offensive. I believe my ground game is where I feel most superior.


5. What do you feel you need to work on to be a more complete fighter?

I feel my striking is where I need the most improvement and my last two fights show that I can throw leather whether on the ground or standing. Each day is a new day to learn and refine areas in which I need to fine-tune, but I realized in the cage the majority of the time is spent in the clinch, so I've been working my cage work and utilizing Muay Thai as my style of fighting when standing. I'm beginning to find my rhythm when standing and I can't wait to show this off in the cage.


6. When will your next fight be & who will you be facing?

My next fight is scheduled for September 7th against PJ Palmer for Gladiators of the Cage. Make sure to get your tickets at http://www.cagetix.com then scroll down to the fighter you support and click their name to purchase tickets from them. You don't want to miss this card. Tons of talented pros are signing with Gladiators of the Cage and you don't want to miss this show, trust me. Support local MMA because some of these fighters are top notch.


7. Which of your fights is your favorite? Is there a fighter you wish you could fight again, if so which fighter would that be?

One of my favorite fights was against Tyler Updike at Complete Devastation 2. It was a barn-burner and both of us tossed leather and knees at each other all fight long. On the ground or standing it was just memorable experience with submission attempts and good ground work with insane scrambles. I hit my first real X-guard sweep in that fight at the end of the third round and there was probably, I don't know... 30 seconds left and we just went at each other. I threw a Superman punch that grazed him and he hit me with a great knee and I returned one with a toss at the end when the final bell rang. I imagine how it could have been if the fight had 2 more rounds to it! Tyler and I are good friends and I love training with the guys at Dignan/Brumbaugh MMA like Shawn McMahon, Brad Mountain, etc. In that moment the person you can relate with the most is the person standing across from you and no matter what, win or lose you learn from each other.


8. Who are some of your role models?

One of my role models in MMA would have to be Frankie Edgar. His ability to absorb punishment and to persevere through his fights is extraordinary. Not only in the cage, but outside the cage he's a great advocate for the sport and he's an all-around awesome fighter and person. Maybe it's because of his wrestling background and his style of fighting that I can relate to him and his gameplan, executions on his combos/takedowns. Another role model would have to be Ramon Dekker, 8 time Muay Thai Champion and famous Dutch Kickboxer. He just has a tendency to go head-to-head with his opponents and style of fighting is ferocious. What fight fan doesn't love that? If you haven't seen him fight check him out on YouTube.


9. What are your goals in MMA?

My goals are to continue to learn and grow as this sport develops. MMA is now becoming main stream and the fans love to watch it. I couldn't ask to be in a better sport as Pittsburgh is becoming a hot spot for up-and-coming fighters in MMA. In the near future I would like to work on my ranking as I hold a 3 stripe blue belt in BJJ and I want to keep soaking up as much knowledge as I possibly can through cross training. I'm in my final semester at Slippery Rock University and I plan on pursuing a career as a Paralympic coach. I plan to keep on training and if a top gym is in the future and promotions knocking on the door it would be a dream come true.


10. Is there anyone you would like to thank?

First off I'd like to thank my family. I had an amazing support system while growing up when in wrestling and my Dad was a coach not just on the mat but also off the mat at a very early age. I have that same support system plus a girlfriend that pushes me plus awesome friends who don't miss my fights. I'd like to thank all the people I've trained with while in the military, especially Stephen Martin, Michael Craig, Cory Fukuda, and Lee Mora. Those were the guys I started this journey with and I continue to think about them all the time. My wrestling coaches, Dave Bowersox and Kenny Ferguson for pushing me to be great.

Their coaching and life lessons will always stay with me. My team-mates are great and they know who they are. I'd like to thank Robert Joseph and the guys over at Gladiators of the Cage fro allowing me to fight for a great promotion. To all my sponsors: Foundation Fight Co, Bone Breakerz Clothing, Apex Construction, Pizza Joe's, Stepanian & Muscatello LLP, Sherwin Williams, Mars Pizza, K.C. General Contracting, Mazzanti's Beans & Cream, and Toast!

Last but not least, I'd like to give a shout-out to everyone in the military - Active Duty, Reserves, National Guard - thank you all for doing what you do! I'll never forget those who I have served with.