Tuesday, August 20, 2013

10 Questions With Shawn Downs




WCC Lightweight (Ammy) Champion Shawn Downs





Back in June of 2012 I had the privilege of attending World Cagefighting Championships IV in Greensburg, Pa. The entire fight card was filled with amazing fights, and among them was the amateur debut of local Pittsburgh fighter Shawn Downs. Just 2 years out of West Mifflin High School, the blue-collar worker from the Steel City of Pennsylvania Downs is quickly making a name for himself in MMA. Since that first win against Steven Jones at WCC IV Downs has fought 4 more times, remaining undefeated at 5 - 0 as he heads into Gladiators of the Cage "The Road To Glory V" on September 7th in Pittsburgh against Travis List. 

One year after making that impressive debut at WCC IV Downs fought and defeated Sean Diehl for the World Cagefighting Championships Lightweight (Ammy) Title at WCC VI. This fight was one of the first fight in Pennsylvania under the "advanced" amateur rules, and was among the very first titles fights under the new amateur rules. This upcoming fight against Travis List will be for the Gladiators of the Cage Lightweight (Ammy) Title. Gladiators of the Cage has been putting together some amazing fight cards with incredible match-ups, so this title fight between Downs & List should be filled with fireworks as the fighters stake their claim at being the 155lb champion of GotC ammys. If you are anywhere near Pittsburgh and are available to see some awesome fights September 7th, call (412) 820-0657 or visit http://cagetix.com to get your tickets NOW because you DO NOT want to miss this event!

Recently I had the pleasure of interviewing Shawn Downs to find out more about this up-and-coming Lightweight fighter as he prepares for his fight against List and his attempt to add another belt to his resume. I am grateful that he took time from his busy training schedule to answer a few questions... here is 10 Questions With Shawn Downs.


Road To Glory V - September 7th


1. Tell us a little about yourself.

My name is Shawn Downs. I am 21 years old. I'm a amateur Lightweight (155 lbs) fighter. My record is 5-0 and I am the current World Cagefighting Championships Lightweight Champion. And I train out of PTT-Personal Training Tactics under Owner/Operator Don Kaecher in Pittsburgh, PA


2. How did you get started in MMA?

There isn't really a huge reason why I got started in training MMA. I always loved watching The Karate Kid movies and Bloodsport with Jean Claude Van Damme really caught my interest. The first ever footage of UFC I ever saw was a highlight reel of Phil Baroni. After that I started watching The Ultimate Fighter religiously. I started actually training a year after high school. Myself and my friends started consistently ordering the UFC PPVs and we were always playing the UFC video games. And I thought to myself that I could do this. My friend mentioned a gym he trained at called TFS-Tactical Fight Systems in Bethel Park so I started going almost everyday immediately.


3. What gym(s) do you train at, and what is it like training there?

I currently train at PTT-Personal Training Tactics under Don Kaecher. It is without a doubt the best gym in Pittsburgh and Don Kaecher is by far the best coach. He has trained almost every top fighter in Pittsburgh. He was 9-1 as a professional MMA fighter and his only loss was to UFC Veteran Hermes Franca. His been training MMA since 1997 so his knowledge for MMA is the best you can get. My training partners are Bob Bianchini he is 3-4 as a lightweight ammy and his next fight is September 7th for Gladiators of the Cage. Chris Dempsey who is 6-1 as a Professional. And Dempsey throws me around like a rag-doll but nobody I fight will have his strength or wrestling so it's a big help to me. And Justin Stonick who will be making his ammy debut August 10th and his a beast! His a featherweight and he started cutting from 190 pounds so look out for this kid.


4. What do you feel your strengths are as a fighter?

I feel my strength as a fighter is my ground game. I feel that my Jiu-Jitsu can hang with any fighter right now. I have power in my hands but I let the big bombs set-up my takedowns. I never wrestled a day in my life but Chris Dempsey and Don Kaecher have really helped my takedowns and control on the ground.


5. What do you feel you need to work on to be a more complete fighter?

I feel I need to work on my stand-up more. I'll stand and trade with anybody but if you give me the option to take you down I'm taking it. My coach has specifically been working on utilizing my reach more because I consider myself a pretty big lightweight standing at 6'0 and walking around 170 pounds so size and strength are never a concern for me.


6. You recently won at WCC VI in Greensburg back in June against Sean Diehl to win the World Cagefighting Championships Lightweight (Ammy) Title. What is next for you?

WCC VI Title fight was a great fight for me. I knew Diehl was a ground fighter which made me want to prove that I was the better ground fighter. He toke me down and I locked in a triangle and it was over. My next fight is August 10th in Sharon, PA for the promoter Chuck Haskell and the event is called Quaker Steak & Lube Fight Night 1. I'll be fighting Jake Schilling out of Pittsburgh Fight Club who is 3-1. It was originally slated as a Title Fight but since Schilling lost in his last fight the PA Athletic Commission might not approve it. My next fight after that is September 7th for Gladiators of the Cage and that will be for there Amateur Lightweight Title against Travis List who is also 3-1. Update: The fight with Schilling did not happen. Downs next fight is on September 7th at Gladiators of the Cage: Road To Glory V against Travis List for the Lightweight (Ammy) Title


7. Is there a fighter that you would like to fight that you haven't had a chance to fight yet?

There is a couple amateur lightweights that I'd like to have the chance to fight. Nick Browne who I believe is 7-1 would be a great fight. Fadi Shuman who is 4-0 and both this guys are ranked on all the Amateur Lightweight Rankings. I respect what they bring to the cage and I want to fight the best amateurs before turning professional.


8. Who are some of your role models?

My number one role model is my coach Don Kaecher. He works so hard to make sure me and teammates have everything we need and all the tools to compete at a high level in this sport. PTT is a family and we will always be that. His been doing this since I was 5 years old so I trust everything he has to say and he will always be my coach/friend/mentor.


9. What are your goals in MMA?

My goals for MMA are the same as everybody who takes this sport seriously. The UFC is everybody's dream. I hope to have 2 or 3 more amateur fights and make the transition to be a professional in early 2014. I'm only 21 years old and I've only been training 2 years so I'm being smart about it and taking things slow so I don't burn myself out in 10 years.


10. Is there anyone you would like to thank?

I'd like to thank my coach Don Kaecher for all the training and advice he has given me over the last year. my Mother, my Aunt Chris, my Uncle Jimmy, my twin cousins Ciara & Colin and Lindsey for supporting me from day one and always making the trips to my fights. And I'd like to give a huge thanks to my girlfriend Amanda. It is not easy being with a fighter. She's the reason why I train so hard and go through the rough weight cuts and without her none of this would be possible. And all my teammates at PTT you guys are the best around! and Thank you to Jeff McConnell for giving me the chance to do this interview.