Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Review - Ultimate MMA Magazine



Ultimate MMA Magazine

Recently I got myself into a bit of trouble (figuratively) over this issue of Ultimate MMA magazine with Ronda Rousey on the cover. Nothing major, I just sparked a debate when I shared the link about this issue, most of the controversy was over my opinion about the caption for the main article. 

I am a big supporter of women in MMA, and my O.C.D. way of thinking didn't see the word "Nasty" as being used in a positive way. My cousin agreed with me, but it wasn't long before managing editor for the magazine Breanna Armstrong responded that I might have misunderstood things a bit. I was willing to agree that their intention was good, but that someone should have taken a few seconds to reconsider what message they were sending out with that caption.

I was contacted by Breanna and she suggested I check out that issue specifically to see that the magazine wasn't guilty of what I thought they might be - just using potentially shocking/offensive buzzwords just to sell a magazine without having anything of substance to back up the attention.

Those of you who know me know that I have definite opinions, and even though I consider myself to be open-minded, most of the time my opinions are firm. But this was a case where I was willing to admit I might be wrong, and so when the magazine arrived I found myself in the pleasantly surprising position of gladly reevaluating my position and changing my opinion.

First off I want to say that I'm not surprised that the magazine is well written, and professionally put together. And for the record I understand where the "nasty" in the "Nasty Ronda Rousey" caption comes from. I'm sure most people familiar with the UFC and Dana White recognize this as being a reference to a quote about Ronda he made where he says, "She's mean, she's nasty and she likes to finish people and she's very talented." White gave variations of this quote in response to being asked why he had changed his mind about allowing women into the UFC. (Check YouTube for the TMZ video where White was asked 'when will women compete in the UFC' and he responds 'never')

Here is a link to an article with a video where you get the full story about how Ronda changed his mind, and why women are now competing in the UFC. http://www.csnbayarea.com/sportsnetBayArea/search/v/71343384/dana-white-ronda-rousey-on-chronicle-live.htm


But back to the magazine...


I can say that I enjoyed reading every article in this issue, and that I am glad I got over my initial ideas about what I felt the use of one word on the cover meant to the big picture, because this is a very good publication and the magazine is well worth reading. I highly recommend people subscribe to Ultimate MMA magazine if the want the latest in MMA news from a unique perspective. 

The cover story referring to Rousey is a "Top 20" of women MMA fighters, and I agree with the magazine placing Ronda at the #1 spot. The rest of the list (titled "Taking Down Ronda: What if these top female fighters had a chance to battle the champ?") is a detailed listing of some of the best female fighters in MMA. I don't necessarily agree with some of the fighters and where they are ranked in this article, I can't argue with the reasoning behind why they chose these fighters. 

 I enjoyed the pictorials (especially the "Ring Girl of the Month" Jordan McDonald) and the other articles, like the Top 5 rankings for each division in MMA Again, I might disagree with the rankings, but that's subjective and everyone ends up letting their personal favorites as well as the fighters they don't like effect how they rank fighters... I am guilty of this just like anyone who offers up a ranking list.

I especially like the segments/articles where Ultimate MMA goes over technique & breaks them down for readers to learn new techniques. To a Judo practitioner like myself this is something I always look for when I choose a magazine to read. I enjoy learning new moves, and having them detailed by experts in the field is a big plus in my opinion.

The part I feel I must mention is from managing editor Breanna Armstrong herself. In an opening segment editorial titled "Round 1 - Here To Stay" Breanna details how women's MMA has "come a long way since December 5th 2000" when Marloes Coenen fought  Becky Levi at the Remix World Cup 2000 in Japan.

Had I read this editorial before I saw the front cover I would never had questioned the motive of the magazine using the word "nasty" in reference to a female MMA fighter. I owe an apology to the magazine in general & Breanna Armstrong in specific, because after reading the magazine & her editorial I have no doubts that this magazine has good intentions about promoting MMA, especially women in MMA.

I can't speak more highly about this magazine - an d I'm glad to say that I am still open-minded enough to allow a differing opinion & more information effect my viewpoint & opinions. I have Breanna Armstrong & Ultimate MMA magazine to thank for that.


The official website for the magazine is http://www.ultimatemmamag.com/ and it is a monthly publication. The magazine comes from the people behind the Beckett price guides for trading cards, and the info from the "About" section on the magazine's Facebook page says:
 
Our monthly magazine is devoted to the sport of MMA and the lifestyle that accompanies it. Our full-color magazine features stories for new fans, casual fans, hardcore fans and fighters.

Beckett.com offers collectors instant access to the world's leading trading card databases, including the ability to organize, price, buy, sell and trade.


Bottom line is I recommend you get your hands on Ultimate MMA magazine, inside the issue are offers for subscriptions with nice discounts. I haven't checked the official website regarding subscriptions, but I'm guessing there are similar offers available online as well. Do yourself a favor & subscribe to this magazine now... you can thank me later.